Friday, July 16, 2010

I am Second - Christine Petric



When Jesus commanded us to love one another I don't think he meant for us to be selective in the ones we loved. I don't think he meant for us to be judgemental either, but it seems the modern day Christian is a mix of both, at least that's what I get when I listen to people like Bill O'reily - I say Bill O'reily because he claims to be a Christian or more precisely, a Roman Catholic. We are called to be more like Christ, not to like ourselves more. Judging others based on race or social status is wrong, and it is most certainly not a Christian virtue, but more of a conceited me-first wordly mindset completely devoid of the Spirit.

"As a man thinketh in his heart so is he," not only embraces the whole of a man's being, but is so comprehensive as to reach out to every condition and circumstance of his life. A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts - James Allen

Yes, there is a Bible verse that says "as a man thinketh" but what then does a man do when all he is fostered to think from birth is cyclical hopelessness and blaring prejudice?

I refuse to believe that a poor African American male is nothing more than a host of negative stereotypes. I love Christines I.A.S segment because her boyfriends' parents reaction could have come from any typical 'Christian' family. Why is that? I would argue that the Holy Spirit could not reside in a person who vehemently defends his right to judge the poor and the stranger. Would I be wrong? There's a reason generations upon generations of black youth live like they do, and no, it's not inborn.

"He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace." Proverbs 11:12

Put yourselves in their shoes, or perhaps just objectively question why things are as they are.

"You should have work by now - you made wrong choices - you're worthless" - This is the condemning mindset of one who rests his conscience on the twisting of the Proverbs 23:7 verse. Surely none of Americas current unemployed deserve this type of treatment, or are there exceptions?

We are to love our neighbours (that means everyone), to be as light to the world, to shock people with the spirit that lives in us. Because he first loved us.
*
*
Sigh. Another great IamSecond video, please check out their page in my links section.

No comments: